Skip to content
- The office of the speaker is established by the Constitution 2010 in Chapter 11 of Devolved Government article 176.
- The Speaker is an Ex officio member elected by the County Assembly Members.
- The speaker presides over county Assembly sittings.
- In the absence of the Speaker the sittings are presided over by the Deputy Speaker or any other Member of the Speaker’s panel.
- The Speaker administers the oath of affirmation or allegiance to Members and issues writs for vacant County Assembly seats;
- The Speaker protects the rights of the minority while making sure that the majority have their way,
- Organizing the business of the House as he is the Chairman of the House Business committee.